thoughts

Sharing is caring

August 11, 2015

desert island picks: makeup

Over the last several years, I have probably single-handedly helped Sephora stay in the black. I try new things all the time, and am pretty adventurous with makeup and other skin/hair/body products. I wear makeup to work (though tend not to on weekends) and special occasions, and have honed a particular "look" over the last ~2 years, which mainly consists of red lipstick and black liquid eyeliner. But if I had to choose four products to use every day for the rest of my life, it would be these:

Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation - not a whole lot to say here, other than this is the best foundation I've ever used, which is saying a lot, because I've struggled to find a good foundation for my skin since I was 14 years old. My skin is oily and unevenly pigmented (I have old acne scars and natural "dark circles" around my eyes), and I require makeup with SPF. This foundation has never made me break out, in fact, I think it's enormously helped my skin be more even and less oily. It offers very good coverage and comes in 23 shades - I have one shade for summer and another for winter, when my skin is paler. If you have redness, scarring, pigmentation, or other issues that make you self-conscious, I would recommend trying this. It's not cheap, but you don't need much for strong coverage, and it's not too thick or cakey (something I CANNOT ABIDE).  Blends well and lasts all day.



















Urban Decay Perversion Mascara - I understand why this mascara is called "perversion" because it is pretty perverted how awesome it is. I have naturally dark and full lashes, so what I look for is added length. I do not want clumpy-looking "tarantula eyes". I know others don't like this mascara (thinking it's "wet", which I've never found - and also, all mascara is wet? And what would dry mascara be like?) but I also know a lot of people who do. I find it dries quickly and lasts all day; though I do keep the travel size in my bag for touch-ups because I'm a little nuts about it. I get compliments on my lashes rather frequently (I know that sounds weird, but I've actually had 3 in the last few weeks alone) and I always credit and tout this mascara as part of the reason (I mean, I have to give my parents some credit, right?)  One down side - it only comes in black.  But if you want super length, give it a try... they claim it has lash-growing super powers (so maybe I should give it more of the credit?)



















Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner - I have had the same tube of this eyeliner for a year, and I wear it every day. I think it might be haunted? I mean there's no rhyme or reason to it. Other than it is a real value, lasts all day, is super easy to apply, and gives me the exact 1960s cat-eye look that I love: very clean lines. It doesn't feather out or smudge - dries in literally seconds and stays on for 12+ hours (I've applied it at 7am and come home at 1am with no reapplications and it still looks fresh and clean). And again, like all of the greatest products - it comes in 15 (fifteen!) bold colors. When I was a kid, there was this really expensive set of felt-tipped art markers that I wanted so badly but never got. They came in a box and there were dozens of colors and shades. Using this eyeliner is like having access to those markers, but being able to put them on my face. Or something!




















Bite Matte Creme Lip Crayon - my color is "jewel red", and I could not gush about it more. First, the tube has a built-in sharpener at the end, so you can use this almost as a liner AND a lipstick. It's very thick and heavily pigmented, but doesn't feel either too matte/dry or wet/sticky. I put it on before I leave the house in the morning, and it regularly lasts through breakfast and lunch. This stuff will just. not. budge. Very smooth, colors don't change or dull through the day (or even through eating and drinking), and there are 12 shades to choose from, so seriously there is something (or many things!) for everyone.  I went to an outdoor music festival this summer and ended up losing my tube somewhere during the course of the day. When I realized it, I opened my Sephora app and ordered another right then. Can't give a more glowing review than that!






No comments:

Post a Comment